Tuesday, January 10, 2012

gourmet bagged lunch



Making lunch in the morning when you can barely scarf down your breakfast does not usually lead to inspiration.  This morning Bryan was not going for the same-old Dijon-mustard routine so I started looking through our (pretty empty) fridge for anything to brighten up his plain turkey sandwich.  There was freshly made pesto which he nixed for some odd reason; there was mayo which he wouldn't touch for any small amount of money; and then there was apricot jelly.  It was like a light-bulb had gone off.  The jelly was the chutney to my packaged smoked turkey!  The cranberry sauce to a Thanksgiving roast turkey!



I was really excited about this brilliant new idea, but Bryan was wary. I gleefully spread some jelly on the bread and processed turkey for a glammed-up lunch while Bryan chose yellow mustard. I added romaine lettuce for crunch and some sliced onion to keep the sandwich sharp and away from dessert confusion category.

Lunchtime came around and man, did I enjoy it.  I didn't load on the jelly, so it was just a sweet accent to the turkey making it bright and interesting.  The onion was perfect, adding a strong, biting flavor to the otherwise sweet and neutral sandwich with a satisfying crunch from the lettuce.

Bryan's having it tomorrow.

Turkey Sandwich:
2 slices of bread (I used Weight Watcher's 40 calorie bread.  For the calories, you can go way crazy here and use some delicious multi-grain breads to really add to your sandwich)
4 slices smoked Empire turkey
1 tsp apricot jelly (I would substitute it with whatever jelly you have on hand. Just maybe not grape.)
1 leaf romaine lettuce
2 slices onion

Calories per sandwich:
140

No comments:

Post a Comment